|Marinated four bean salad|
The bean often gets a bad rap for... well... just being a bean! But this little legume is a creative and often a eager addition to the world of food.
One of the easiest and often most tasty additions is in the form of a four bean salad. With a few simple ingredients, you can turn a lonely bean into a great dish.
Four Bean Salad
• 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained, reserve 1/4 cup.
• 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
• 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
• 1/4 cup scallions (green onions, approx 2) sliced
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup cider vinegar (for a more mild vinegar taste use rice wine vinegar)
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• In a large salad bowl, combine all of the beans, and onions. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, vinegar, oil salt and the reserved kidney bean liquid until sugar is dissolved. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring several times. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10-12 servings.